Skip to main content

WhatsApp and other Technological Hazards


This weekend I installed a chat application on my phone called WhatsApp. Many of my friends had urged me to get it, citing its wonderful connectivity of free phone-to-phone messenger services. I was truly amazed at how easy it was to communicate with everyone whose phone number I had across the world and the sharing of multimedia was simple awesome. That was in the first hour. After that I realized that: 1. You cannot turn it off, so basically EVERYONE on your phone who also has Whatsapp can message you ALL the time FOR FREE about, let's face it, nothing. 2. People you don't normally talk to start talking to you...just because it's available and 3. You don't get any sleep or work done just from the excitement of getting firsthand news-worthy events (read gossip).

How smart really is a smartphone?


 It just comes to show that technology has come a long way. The internet and communication have made our generation one that seeks instant gratification. Most questions today can be answered simply by "just google it". When did 'google' become a verb? And this trend has even crossed over to the medical world. People prefer to look up conditions online rather than seeing a doctor. This is called self-diagnosis. How safe is this practice? 

In practice, self diagnosis is prevalent for many of the most common symptoms and ailments. When you feel the symptoms of a common cold coming on, you don't always rush to the doctor to confirm it. How many times have you heard the phrase, “It’s just my allergies”?  The treatment for an allergy is an antihistamine readily available at a pharmacy even without prescription. However, a study conducted by researchers at Medicine.net in 2009 showed that a large percentage of self-diagnosed “allergies” were actually chronic sinusitis, a more serious infection which requires a regime of antibiotics. This is just an example of how common symptoms may in fact be something else.

Cyberchondriac is the terminology used to refer to people who are obsessed with looking up symptoms of any illness they have on the internet. The dangers of this can be disastrous. The human mind is built to ignore more common diseases and focus only on the life-threatening conditions. A simple headache could be due to hypoglycemia but the cyberchondriac is only interested in the brain cancer indicated at the bottom of the list. It’s also important to note that your judgment is clouded when you are sick. For instance a fever can impair judgment remarkably. Even doctors need to see a doctor!

Bottom-line, be careful with what you do with the information you receive out there. It is recommended you always seek prompt professional in-person medical advice from your local qualified medical professional. Granted some conditions are common and easily treated at home but consult with your doctor about any symptoms, particularly if there is any doubt or concern, or if the symptoms concern a child, infant, elderly, very ill, pregnant, or otherwise at-risk patient. In short, you're not an expert. Only your doctor has the knowledge and experience to properly perform the process of diagnosis. Self-diagnosis is no substitute for face-to-face expert medical attention.

Extracts from my article in SkyHost Air Zimbabwe Inflight Magazine


Comments

  1. have yu heard of dot com docs..
    apparently, Google + Doc = Dot Com Doc!
    remember, when yu had to open a 2000 page textbook to look up a ddx?
    dont blame the net for makin things easier..be thankful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dr Gilbert!
    I am extremely grateful technology has made things easier for us medics to do our research but I am wary that lay people may get confused with conflicting information out there!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What's your 'Real Age'?

RealAge, Inc. is an American media corporation that provides health information to consumers. The company’s stated mission is to encourage consumers to maximize their health and wellness by making their "RealAge" younger. It was founded by media medic, Michael Roizen , currently the chief wellness officer at The Cleveland Clinic . log on to realage.com So basically its a website which asks you a bunch of questions then it tells you what age you really are. It will ask you things like from 'how much do you drink' to 'how many orgasms do you have a week' and so on. It is a long quiz. Apparently since it started in 1999, 27 million people have taken the test. Guess everyone wants to live life to the youngest! So of course I took the test..and I am not revealing my real age. I was appalled to say the least! And now they are sending me all sorts of suggestions about how I can 'regain my youth' e.g:   Burn More Fat with These

Is Everyday One Word or Two? English Test Woes

IELTS (pronounced alternatively by people as EYE-Elts and EYE-Lets) is the standardized international English test from the UK and Australia, equivalent to Toefl for the US. I had to do it for a myriad of reasons but mainly to prove to the aforesaid 'Commonwealthers' that I can indeed communicate in English. Disgruntled but excited I booked my test for this past Saturday and pictured myself getting 98% because ‘I even have a blog-o!’ How good must my English be? Woke up at the crack of dawn!   I had received warnings of non-refundable expulsion for late-comers so my senses were acutely aware of my alarm clock. Thinking I was too early, I arrived to find a horde (word I used in my speaking test) of anxious-looking people already waiting outside the British Council building. I immediately befriended the most cheerful face sitting at the end of the line who was to become my friend for the whole day. Payal had carried 5 pens, 5 pencils, several rubbers and a sparkling sharpener

Saving Mandy

When you have influence, it is your duty to stand up for others and help others up too We had so much in common.  We were both born and grew up in the same sleepy hometown of Bulawayo, almost same neighborhood. We attended the same high school, some years apart, but both proud and loud Convent girls. At some point, we must have taken the same Parklands surburb bus from City Hall to home. Our siblings almost same age-groups; our families and friends intertwined all the way back to roots in Dombodema rural home. We both went on to study medicine, she did dentistry, I did MBChB. But eventually we both did a masters in Public Health in the same programme at the University of Zimbabwe. We both got married and set up home in Harare. Bulawayo girls stick together when they arrive in the big bad city. When I had Anashe, she had Siyabonga. We were both pregnant in 2018. Being senior medical professionals we both had access to the “best” medical care. We both had Cesarian Sections and