Skip to main content

Get Thin or Die Trying

I am the queen of yo-yo diets. You name it, I have tried it. Atkins, Caveman, Vegetarian, 6 hours of the Beyonce Diet...and the list goes on. In school most of my weight was kept off because I played a lot of sport but this waned in university. Now my physical activity is limited to one or two evening hikes during the week. Thus we are back to some fad diet. Currently I am on the low-carbohydrate Atkin's diet which has made me quite irritable and moody in the last 3 days. (Its a wonder I'm even blogging.) But I thought it important to let ladies out there know that some of these extreme diets can have adverse effects that you may not expect.

Fad diets may produce short-term gains but long-term consequences


Let's take a look at some of these problems:

1. Reduced Metabolism and Weight Gain

Severe calorie restriction can cause reduction in a person's metabolism, or the rate at which calories from food convert into energy. The body may go into "starvation mode," a state in which it holds on to, or stores, calories taken in as a means of conserving energy. People who "yo-yo diet"--or repeatedly restrict calories to lose weight, stop dieting and gain weight, then restrict calories again--are at heightened risk for reduced metabolism. Once metabolism is reduced, weight gain is likely. In this way, extreme dieting increases risk in the long run for weight-related conditions such as obesity, cholesterol problems and heart disease. According to the NEDA, 95 percent of dieters regain lost weight and additional weight within five years.

2. Increased Risk for Disease

Extreme dieting techniques such as fasting and extreme calorie restriction are associated with poor nutrient intake and reduced immune system function. According to research published in the Journal of the American Medical Association in 2007, people who severely restrict calories hold greater risk for inflammatory diseases such as heart disease, diabetes and, potentially, cancer. These findings are contrary to the claims of severe low-calorie dietary approaches geared toward longevity. Risk for osteoporosis also increases with extreme dieting, because risk factors for the disease include vitamin D and calcium deficiency, low body weight and eating disorders, which may follow extreme dieting.

3. Emotional Complications

Extreme dieting is associated with reduced self-esteem, poor body image and decreased social interaction. These complications may develop due to poor nutrition, as a healthy diet can promote levels of positive brain chemicals such as serotonin and dopamine. Consuming too few calories and nutrients also reduces a person's energy, which may lead to increased desire to stay home or spend time alone. Because extreme diets pose rigid rules, such as avoidance of certain foods or consuming only specified amounts of calories or carbohydrate grams, they can make social interaction less pleasurable and more stressful. In severe cases, extreme diets lead to depression--an illness characterized by elongated periods of low moods that detract significantly from a person's life.

4. Reduce Cognitive Skills

Extreme dieting can cause reduced ability to concentrate on school, work and other tasks. People who diet regularly or for long time periods may exhibit more absences from work or school than those who eat normal, healthy diets. They also may perform at a reduced level when they are present. Extreme dieting can lead to obsession with weight loss and food, which detract from a person's ability to concentrate on other matters.

So take it from Queen Yo-yo, exercise, eat healthy, try and stay away from fad diets because the yo-yo will keep going up and down.

Courtesy LiveStrong.Com

Comments

  1. Interesting views. I have come across these warnings when searching for info on my diet...lol...yes, I am on one. It started off as a sort of joke/dare with a pal and then changed into this.
    It is called the Metabolic diet/13 day diet/Royal Danish hospital diet and falls among those that restrict the calories. It is quite hard and yes, is not for those who have very busy schedules or have health issues. From the reviews I have read so far, it helps in changing one's metabolism in that after the diet, there is little chance of the weight being regained. However, it has rules and regulations.

    I have looked up the list of best diets with regards to health and weight loss and can post the link here, if you want. I know there's the Weight Watchers' Program and the Biggest Loser diet but in my African setting, I doubt I can pull them off so I am gonna pick one further down the list which looks safer...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. The above comment was mine...forgot to sign my name
    Prossy

    ReplyDelete
  3. If fad diets worked with longevity they wouldn't be fads. They would b lifestyle changes. I have been a victim of problem 3 as friends have tried these fads. Thank you for documenting this so I can show them the real side effects of these fads from a reputable source.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the best thing would be a lifestyle change, which is what I have found recommended by several experts when recommending a diet that is not just a fad but is rated well in terms of health, weightloss etc. Check USA News for that list...it has really been helpful.

    This diet am on has been hectic drained me of energy and given me the worst afternoons. However, others have gone through it without hassle. All it has shown me is that I did have bizarre eating habits.

    At the end of the day, it is healthy eating, exercise and some semblance of control. People normally want the quick and easy but that is not always the best.

    Prossy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Prossy, first hand experience is usually the best teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Stee,

    I recommend the Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno

    She believes health wieghtloss has three main components:

    80% Diet (what you eat)+ 10% Genetics + 10% Exercise

    1.Eat 5-6 times per day (Good idea – not realistic for many)
    2.Each meal should be between 200-300 calories (this essentially makes it a low calorie diet as total calories would be between 1200-1800)
    3.Eat a complex carbohydrate with protein at every meal
    4.Drink at least 2L (8 cups) of water every day (not a bad idea if you are exercising daily)
    5.Never miss a meal, especially breakfast (Agree with the breakfast part but 6 meals per day make skipping the odd one almost inevitable)
    6.Avoid saturated and trans-fats
    7.Stick to proper portion sizes
    8.whole grains brown rice, quinoa, couscous etc.

    Read her books and learn to order in a resturant etc. Its not a diet its a healthy lifestyle.

    Try it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much. Great advice!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What's your 'Real Age'?

RealAge, Inc. is an American media corporation that provides health information to consumers. The company’s stated mission is to encourage consumers to maximize their health and wellness by making their "RealAge" younger. It was founded by media medic, Michael Roizen , currently the chief wellness officer at The Cleveland Clinic . log on to realage.com So basically its a website which asks you a bunch of questions then it tells you what age you really are. It will ask you things like from 'how much do you drink' to 'how many orgasms do you have a week' and so on. It is a long quiz. Apparently since it started in 1999, 27 million people have taken the test. Guess everyone wants to live life to the youngest! So of course I took the test..and I am not revealing my real age. I was appalled to say the least! And now they are sending me all sorts of suggestions about how I can 'regain my youth' e.g:   Burn More Fat with These

Is Everyday One Word or Two? English Test Woes

IELTS (pronounced alternatively by people as EYE-Elts and EYE-Lets) is the standardized international English test from the UK and Australia, equivalent to Toefl for the US. I had to do it for a myriad of reasons but mainly to prove to the aforesaid 'Commonwealthers' that I can indeed communicate in English. Disgruntled but excited I booked my test for this past Saturday and pictured myself getting 98% because ‘I even have a blog-o!’ How good must my English be? Woke up at the crack of dawn!   I had received warnings of non-refundable expulsion for late-comers so my senses were acutely aware of my alarm clock. Thinking I was too early, I arrived to find a horde (word I used in my speaking test) of anxious-looking people already waiting outside the British Council building. I immediately befriended the most cheerful face sitting at the end of the line who was to become my friend for the whole day. Payal had carried 5 pens, 5 pencils, several rubbers and a sparkling sharpener

Saving Mandy

When you have influence, it is your duty to stand up for others and help others up too We had so much in common.  We were both born and grew up in the same sleepy hometown of Bulawayo, almost same neighborhood. We attended the same high school, some years apart, but both proud and loud Convent girls. At some point, we must have taken the same Parklands surburb bus from City Hall to home. Our siblings almost same age-groups; our families and friends intertwined all the way back to roots in Dombodema rural home. We both went on to study medicine, she did dentistry, I did MBChB. But eventually we both did a masters in Public Health in the same programme at the University of Zimbabwe. We both got married and set up home in Harare. Bulawayo girls stick together when they arrive in the big bad city. When I had Anashe, she had Siyabonga. We were both pregnant in 2018. Being senior medical professionals we both had access to the “best” medical care. We both had Cesarian Sections and