Skip to main content

My Friend, Sarah - Part Three


I am featuring a series of a brave ordeal a friend of mine, Sarah Na'matovu, whom I went to medical school with, went through a few years ago. Her writing touched my heart. This story is about her heart. Heart surgery to be exact. This is the third and final part of her account.


7 May 2011 (cont)

The nurse taking care of me was all about doctor's orders, that my request for pethidine fell on deaf ears. So that night I kept dosing off for about 10-20minutes per a hour. Most of the time I was up because of the pain. The next shift of nurses came in at 8am the next morning. There was this really nice nurse, all smiles. I saw an opportunity here and I siezed it (I was really in alot of pain). When she asked me how I had spent the night, I told her I had not slept and could she please give me a shot of pethidine. God bless her, she gave IT to me. The next thing I remember is being woken up for lunch which I wanted to pass in favour of sleep.

The all-serious nurse came back for the night shift and when I begged for my miracle shot, 'doctor not order pethidine', is all I got. I had to bear with the undesirable effects of morphine(the damned drug just adds stomach cramps to the list of your problems!). As I was there soaking in a bit of pain, a doc I had never seen before came in, asked if I suffered from asthma, and told me that they had found a tiny scar on the lung and so they needed to take a sputum sample. I asked to know what could have caused the scar,
"Pneuemonia or TB, we shall discuss the results of the test when they come back".

Huh, the plot thickens, I said to myself.

Silently, I started cursing all the TB patients I had ever come into contact with while on Luke and Katherine wards and in the counseling clinic. Under my breath, I sent up pleas to the Creator. See, I have a list of illnesses I never want to suffer from: 1. Cancer  2.TB, and 3.HIV/AIDS. Don't hold your breath, the results came out today, no TB no pneumonia.

The morphine dosing was complimented with oral analgesics(read, paracetamol). Instead of lying back and chilling pain-free, as is with pethidine, the morphine was causing me to slouch and press my abdomen in pain. And, since the paracetamol was doing me no good, I decided to play Ninja turtle, and refused blatantly to take the pills. No more pills, only injection. The rest of the day involved me making deals to be suctioned in exchange for pethidine shots. And, yes each time I got short changed. Morphine for pethidine. (Now, me and peth have a relationship, he, err...uhm, it does me like no other drug does).Hey, am not addicted, atleast not yet.


Sarah's relationship with Pethidine


I was finally moved back into my room in the evening. I got continual dosing with morphine through out the night until I could not take the abdominal pain no more. This morning, I told the nurse, ' No more morphine, Pethidine only, no morphine'. I was finally heard! The doctor agreed to let me have my pethidine.
At 10 am, the nurse walked in with a 10ml syringe filled with you-know-what. I had just finished my breathing exercise(coughing for the most part), so I was in extreme pain, but inside I was smiling, perhaps even giggling! I got another shot at 4pm. It is now past 10pm, time for my next shot. Am not going to ask for it though, because am still numb from the previous shot and am not about to abuse my lovely Pethie. Going to try to walk around and when the pain comes on I will ask for my precious.I might even try to stick it out for the night.

I spent some good time in the ICU crying and feeling sorry for myself, but now, when I look back, I don't know why. This experience was not all bad: I adapted Linkin Park's Iridiscent as the sound track for that episode of my life( which makes me unique, coz y'all don't have no soundtracks :P ). Feels like it was written specially for me. Every time I listen to it, I get smiley and weepy, all at the same time, because I realise that the pain in my life (physical and psychological) has finally run its course. A new dawn awaits. I am letting go of all the pain and desperation of the past.

Today, I start living in the present. I wont bow down to 'situation-ism'. I am Sarah, the tall, slender chocolate-brown cutie, and not just the girl with a heart problem. I am Sarah.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's your 'Real Age'?

RealAge, Inc. is an American media corporation that provides health information to consumers. The company’s stated mission is to encourage consumers to maximize their health and wellness by making their "RealAge" younger. It was founded by media medic, Michael Roizen , currently the chief wellness officer at The Cleveland Clinic . log on to realage.com So basically its a website which asks you a bunch of questions then it tells you what age you really are. It will ask you things like from 'how much do you drink' to 'how many orgasms do you have a week' and so on. It is a long quiz. Apparently since it started in 1999, 27 million people have taken the test. Guess everyone wants to live life to the youngest! So of course I took the test..and I am not revealing my real age. I was appalled to say the least! And now they are sending me all sorts of suggestions about how I can 'regain my youth' e.g:   Burn More Fat with These

Is Everyday One Word or Two? English Test Woes

IELTS (pronounced alternatively by people as EYE-Elts and EYE-Lets) is the standardized international English test from the UK and Australia, equivalent to Toefl for the US. I had to do it for a myriad of reasons but mainly to prove to the aforesaid 'Commonwealthers' that I can indeed communicate in English. Disgruntled but excited I booked my test for this past Saturday and pictured myself getting 98% because ‘I even have a blog-o!’ How good must my English be? Woke up at the crack of dawn!   I had received warnings of non-refundable expulsion for late-comers so my senses were acutely aware of my alarm clock. Thinking I was too early, I arrived to find a horde (word I used in my speaking test) of anxious-looking people already waiting outside the British Council building. I immediately befriended the most cheerful face sitting at the end of the line who was to become my friend for the whole day. Payal had carried 5 pens, 5 pencils, several rubbers and a sparkling sharpener

Saving Mandy

When you have influence, it is your duty to stand up for others and help others up too We had so much in common.  We were both born and grew up in the same sleepy hometown of Bulawayo, almost same neighborhood. We attended the same high school, some years apart, but both proud and loud Convent girls. At some point, we must have taken the same Parklands surburb bus from City Hall to home. Our siblings almost same age-groups; our families and friends intertwined all the way back to roots in Dombodema rural home. We both went on to study medicine, she did dentistry, I did MBChB. But eventually we both did a masters in Public Health in the same programme at the University of Zimbabwe. We both got married and set up home in Harare. Bulawayo girls stick together when they arrive in the big bad city. When I had Anashe, she had Siyabonga. We were both pregnant in 2018. Being senior medical professionals we both had access to the “best” medical care. We both had Cesarian Sections and