Skip to main content

Which medicine is most important?

I'm sitting here, typing this from my mobile phone because I just faced this question no person should ever have to ask. Let me paint the picture:
A man brings his wife who is in a state of sever dehydration. She needs fluids by drip, antibiotics, something to bring fever down and some tests to make sure her kidneys are fine and also to identify the causative agent. I work at a private firm for locums which only accepts particular medical aid schemes. Our patient is on none of them. The dreaded cash patient.
The husband goes to reception after my consultation and is told he has to pay $130 for everything. He comes back to me and says 'doc, I only have $50, which medicine is most important?'

Zimbabwe has become a very depressing place to work as a doctor. Forget our miserable pay issues. Patients are having to compromise their health because of the depth of their pocket. That is not fair. You might argue and say, well, couldn't this patient go to a government hospital? Our government facilities are plagued with drug shortages, long queues and lack of privacy. They are so crowded now because the old upper middle class is having to go there now.

So when a patient asks me, which medicine is most important...what am I supposed to say? A lot of creativity is needed. What will killbthem first? Dehydration or infection? Do they really need a full blood count? Can I use clinical signs to determine kidney function? These are things you are not taught in school. Or should I just tell them to seek care at the government hospital where its cheaper and stop making me make unorthodox treatment plans?

Health care should be free. Period. I don't care what your country's economy is like. I don't care what beliefs the people have. No one should have to make a health related decision based on how much money they have. You cannot put a price on life. Yes, someone has to pay for it somehow. There is enough wealth in the top 1% of rich people to look after the whole country. If there is an AIDS levy why can't we have a health levy. Can we borrowba leaf from ObamaCare, the more you have the more tax you pay. What about diverting some of the funds for military and defence to health? Im sure economists are better strategists than I am.

Things in zimbabwe are getting tougher for the average man. It seems we may be reliving the 2008 horror of economic meltdown, but this time feels like a much slower more painful death. We know what's coming and yet we keep walking in that direction.

As for me and my patient, she is on the drip. I had to remove fee for observation...but I will observe her anyway. My boss wouldn't like the sound of that. Well, too bad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's your 'Real Age'?

RealAge, Inc. is an American media corporation that provides health information to consumers. The company’s stated mission is to encourage consumers to maximize their health and wellness by making their "RealAge" younger. It was founded by media medic, Michael Roizen , currently the chief wellness officer at The Cleveland Clinic . log on to realage.com So basically its a website which asks you a bunch of questions then it tells you what age you really are. It will ask you things like from 'how much do you drink' to 'how many orgasms do you have a week' and so on. It is a long quiz. Apparently since it started in 1999, 27 million people have taken the test. Guess everyone wants to live life to the youngest! So of course I took the test..and I am not revealing my real age. I was appalled to say the least! And now they are sending me all sorts of suggestions about how I can 'regain my youth' e.g:   Burn More Fat with These

Is Everyday One Word or Two? English Test Woes

IELTS (pronounced alternatively by people as EYE-Elts and EYE-Lets) is the standardized international English test from the UK and Australia, equivalent to Toefl for the US. I had to do it for a myriad of reasons but mainly to prove to the aforesaid 'Commonwealthers' that I can indeed communicate in English. Disgruntled but excited I booked my test for this past Saturday and pictured myself getting 98% because ‘I even have a blog-o!’ How good must my English be? Woke up at the crack of dawn!   I had received warnings of non-refundable expulsion for late-comers so my senses were acutely aware of my alarm clock. Thinking I was too early, I arrived to find a horde (word I used in my speaking test) of anxious-looking people already waiting outside the British Council building. I immediately befriended the most cheerful face sitting at the end of the line who was to become my friend for the whole day. Payal had carried 5 pens, 5 pencils, several rubbers and a sparkling sharpener

Saving Mandy

When you have influence, it is your duty to stand up for others and help others up too We had so much in common.  We were both born and grew up in the same sleepy hometown of Bulawayo, almost same neighborhood. We attended the same high school, some years apart, but both proud and loud Convent girls. At some point, we must have taken the same Parklands surburb bus from City Hall to home. Our siblings almost same age-groups; our families and friends intertwined all the way back to roots in Dombodema rural home. We both went on to study medicine, she did dentistry, I did MBChB. But eventually we both did a masters in Public Health in the same programme at the University of Zimbabwe. We both got married and set up home in Harare. Bulawayo girls stick together when they arrive in the big bad city. When I had Anashe, she had Siyabonga. We were both pregnant in 2018. Being senior medical professionals we both had access to the “best” medical care. We both had Cesarian Sections and